About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Driving for Dummies


You’ve seen them - those “Dummies” books that are supposed to make it easy for you to learn how to do just about anything.  I’ve never bought one, but I sure could have used one a couple of weeks ago.  If you read the edition of Life Matters a couple of weeks ago, you might remember that I had a little fender bender.  It was not my driving that caused the problem, but my driving got a little complicated a couple of days later when I lost my driver’s license.  Inside my wallet.  Both my hands were full when I was loading the car and I put my wallet on top of the car so I could have a free hand to open the door.  Dumb.  Then I drove off to a meeting in Jacksboro.  Dumber.


Several hours later I realized what I had done and the search was on.  Mrs. Sweetie and my favorite son helped me search around the yard and down our street.  We finally figured that someone must have picked it up, so I began calling and canceling credit cards.  By now, I was in full-fledged “I’m a big Dummy” mode.


On Tuesday after the Memorial Day holiday, I went to the Driver’s License office to get a new one.  After I checked in at the desk I started counting heads of those who were waiting in line.  Sixty-six people!  It’s amazing how much reading you can do during a two hour and forty minute wait in the Driver’s License office.  My friends tell me I should have gone to Weatherford or Decatur.  That would have been nice to know ahead of time.


I came home that evening with my temporary driver’s license and a fading sense of Dummy-ness. That is, until my wife walked in the front door holding my wallet that she had just found in the grass by the road about 100 yards from our driveway.  All the now useless, deactivated credit cards along with an invalid driver’s license were accounted for.  Dumb and Dumber.


All this was really just a little inconvenience and hopefully I learned something NOT to do.  And I went ahead and renewed my license, so I don’t have to go back until 2017.  Not quite so dumb. I still have no plans to buy one of those Dummies books, but I do know another book that is chock full of lessons.


Psalm 19:7 (NLT) says, “The instructions of the Lord are perfect, reviving the soul.  The decrees of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.”   Good news for those of us who sometimes feel like Dummies.


Your Life Matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment