About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Angry Birds


Ok, raise your hand if you play Angry Birds on your phone or computer.  I see those hands!  I am pretty sure that someone reading this blog plays that game because I heard on the radio this week that those who do have become a part of a world record.  This app has now been downloaded more than half a billion (with a B!) times.  That makes it the most downloaded app of all time.  


As one who has neither downloaded nor played this game, I have two things to say to you (and I believe I speak for all Foul Fowl non-enthusiasts when I say this).  First of all, congratulations on the record!  Secondly, I’m sorry you have no life!  


Just kidding about that second one.  Really, I hope it is fun for you.  I have never been much into video games, even back when all my friends were popping their quarters into the machine to play Pac-Man and Asteroids at the 7-Eleven.


If you are reading my blog for the first time, you are now thinking,”This guy may be a couple of nuggets shy of a Happy Meal.”  If you are one of my faithful readers, you came to that conclusion months ago.  But you know what is about to happen.  When I hear something like that little Angry Birds factoid on the radio, the wheels start turning and I start pondering how it applies to our everyday lives.


My pondering this week led me to think about the non-gaming version of Angry Birds—that is to say, the Angry Birds we often encounter (and sometimes become) in life.


I first thought about the Mocking Birds.  You know them.  They have a remark for every situation.  They are experts at making others feel small and insignificant.  They know how to point out how people are inferior or unusual.  They notice weaknesses in others and know how to exploit it to their own advantage.  They love to offer “constructive” criticism and never seem to notice how rarely it is genuinely constructive.


Then I thought about the Birds of Prey (I hesitate to use the word “vultures” but that is probably an appropriate label).  These birds go beyond simply mocking.  They actually feast on the wounded.  They can be mean-spirited for the sake of being mean-spirited.  They sometimes even enjoy seeing others in pain.  They may even find justification for how someone else “deserves” the pain that they have experienced.  Their criticism has no constructive agenda; they just like to “put people in their place”.


Then I thought about the Hummingbirds.  They seem so busy.  They flit from bloom to bloom and make a lot of noise, never really causing harm, but not really staying in one place long enough to do any good.  Once the sweet nectar of a situation becomes depleted, they zoom off to find the next “happy place.”  They don’t really mock or prey on the misfortune of others; they just don’t hang around long enough to notice.


You notice that I keep using the word “they”.  I wish it were always “they” and “them” who act like Angry Birds, but I am afraid it is sometimes “me” and “we”.  So, what are we to do?  


Here’s my suggestion for all of us: how about trying to be Songbirds?  I’m not just talking about those with a musical talent.  You may have a voice like a raven.  When you sing, those close to you may plead that you do it nevermore. But, how about letting our lives, our words, our attitudes, and our actions “sing”?  How about “singing” over the wounded and weary?  How about helping those around us to see and experience the beauty of a life that matters to God?   

Psalm 150 says, “Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.”


Are you breathing?  Let’s tune up and “sing”.

No comments:

Post a Comment