About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Friday, February 17, 2012

Maybe It is "That Much"


Who pays attention to weather forecasts anyway? Mrs Sweetie does, but sometimes she has a lapse in judgment and allows less clear heads to prevail. Famous last words: "It will be okay, honey. One to three inches is not that much."

This explains why I wrote this from a hotel room in Amarillo instead of my writing chair in my living room.  Just in case you ever wonder, two inches of snow with single digit wind chills on interstate highway overpasses qualifies as "that much".

The local television weather lady actually said, "If you are out driving around right now, number one, you can't hear this. Number two, it's not good!" I am publicly acknowledging that she was correct. As was Mrs Sweetie when she suggested that continuing to travel might not be our best choice.

In reflecting on this little adventure, my mind goes in several different directions. You are not surprised, are you? I am first of all grateful that all our kids made it home safely. We were on the way to have lunch together when we decided that those who were close to home should go there and those who were not should find a stopping place. It is a whole different ball game when your offspring are out in the yuckiness, even when they are grown-ups.

I am also grateful for an available hotel room to hunker down for the storm. We might have made it home, but we also might have been spending the night in the truck. It might have made for an entertaining blog, but I am really not that interested in entertaining you. Sorry.

Perspective is something else that inspires my gratitude. Everything at home and work was still there when we got home. None of it was important enough to play slip and slide on I40. I think a part of maturity is learning what is worth stressing over and what is not.

I also have to say that I am really happy for the traveling partner God gave me for the sometimes pleasant and sometimes treacherous highways of life. She thought I was nuts to drive in the snow, but she trusted me to do the right thing. That fact alone makes me want to do the right thing even more. I want our journey together to be an expression of my love for her.

And because I know that our lives matter to God, I want our journey together to be an expression of our love for Him. Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path."

He cares more about us than we care about ourselves and He knows all the best roads. Even when they are covered with "that much".

No comments:

Post a Comment