About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Is This Mark Campbell?


I had a new adventure this week in my continuing quest to become an award-winning columnist and blogger.  I actually don’t know what awards they give for columnists and bloggers, but it would be kind of cool, especially if food is involved.  But, back to the adventure.
When Bob Buckel retired from the Azle News, my new point of contact for submitting my weekly column became Sports Dude Extraordinaire, Mark Campbell.  It took us a week or two to get our communication system worked out, so we exchanged cell phone numbers just in case.
Three weeks ago, I emailed my column to Mark on Monday morning.  Late that afternoon I realized that I had failed to actually attach the column to the email.  I know I’m the only one who has ever done that.  Since it was already at the end of the business day when I emailed it, I thought he might have already gone home, so I texted him to let him know it should be in his inbox. 
My text: “Sent column to you about 45 minutes ago. Sorry forgot to attach this morning.  Gerry”   
His response: “Wait, what column and who is this?” 
Ha, Ha, Mr. Sports Dude. (After all, I included my name in the text).
Fast forward 19 days and I get this text from Mark: “I got a text message from you, but not sure who this is?”   
My response: “This is Gerry Lewis.  Haven’t sent you a text in the last three weeks.” 
Mark: “I am so confused?”   
Me:  “Is this Mark Campbell or have I been texting the wrong person?” 
Mark: “Wrong person?  Is he over at the FTW Animal Shelter?  This is Dustin.”
OOPS!  Fortunately Dustin was a patient and understanding guy.  On further investigation I discovered that I had entered one incorrect digit when I saved Mark’s number to my cell phone.  One little digit!  I got nine of them right, but that one made all the difference.
I heard a sermon in the church I attended last Sunday morning.  The preacher made this statement:  “You are one decision away from changing your life forever.”  He gave examples of both good and bad decisions that can change the course of a person’s life. 
There is a verse that appears twice in the Bible. “There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.” (Proverbs 14:12 & 16:25) In a world full of choices, how do we keep from making the wrong ones?
Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.” 
Our lives matter so much to God that He wants to help us make good choices.
I’m glad Mark made the choice to be a writer instead of working at the animal shelter.  But I do have Dustin’s number just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment