About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Monday, September 3, 2012

All Other Ground is Sinking Sand


How do you know if a guy’s on the level?  Because his bubble is in the middle!  Sorry about that.  I didn’t make that joke up, but unfortunately I am an example of its truth.  I have great plans to firm that bubble up starting tomorrow.  My problem is that every tomorrow turns into today and today I’m too busy.  And so the saga continues.  The truth of the matter is that exercising to strengthen and tone my body is something that I would like to do and that I know I ought to do, but it’s not foundational to my life.
This is No. 3 in a series of blogs about “life building” that I am writing in conjunction with the construction of the Sweetie Suite on the back of our house.  This week I am thinking about solid foundations and eternal values.
As I look out my back window this morning, everything is in place and prepared for the concrete slab to be poured first thing in the morning. The process has taken longer than we wanted it to, but, as any builder can tell you, the foundation is … well, foundational.  If the framers just built the walls directly on top of the ground in my backyard, it might look good for awhile. But it wouldn’t be long until wind, rain, soil erosion, and general everyday use would reveal the lack of a solid foundation.  They might as well build on that bowl full of jelly around my middle.
How do you make your living?  Whatever your field, I guarantee that someone has written a book to tell you how to do it better.  There are techniques, tricks, new technology, tips from experts, and stories from people who have already done it.  You could probably even find a seminar to attend.  Even if you are retired, there is information out there to help you “do” retirement better.
To help me in my work with churches, I attend a lot of those seminars, read the books, tap into the technology, and prepare myself to deliver the most effective resources possible.  While all those things are good, they are not all foundational.  They may help me make a LIVING today, but if they are not constructed on top of the solid foundational truths and eternal values that under-gird me, they are not helping make a LIFE.
For me, life is built on solid eternal values like integrity, compassion, love, generosity, and faith.  The One who is the Source and Foundation of my life said that putting His words into practice is like building a house on a rock (Matthew 7:24).  Hymn writer Edward Mote said it this way, “My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.  I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus’ name.  On Christ, the solid Rock I stand; all other ground is sinking sand.”
All other ground is sinking sand.

2 comments:

  1. Once again you have nailed it. I have been reading your column for several months now, and I finally got the time to join your blog. I look forward to reading more of your work. I have added you to my blog list, also, at www.haulingwoodandchoppingwater.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I have not responded sooner. I just now saw this comment. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete