About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Monday, December 3, 2012

The Future Starts Today



During the greeting time on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, our pastor said, "Shake hands with someone and tell them you ate too much." So, I told the person behind me, "You obviously ate way too much." 

Not really.  I confessed, "I ate too much ... And then I ate some more." Confession may be good for the soul, but my pants are still too tight.

One of the young ladies in our church is getting married in 6 months.  She said she was going for one more big meal before she starts her wedding diet.  I think I will start mine with her.  If I am looking good in time for her wedding, I should be quite the dashing and svelte father of the groom when my son gets married a month later.

That was our big Thanksgiving blessing--the announcement of our son's engagement. We have prayed for this precious young lady for over 22 years, since before our baby boy was born. And God has answered our prayers beyond what we could ever have imagined.

As I write this, I am hearing the church budget committee in the next room discuss how to fund the ministry vision of the church for next year. I am also listening to a couple of youngsters who are having their piano lesson with the church accompanist.

In all of the above, one reality is clear to me: the future is now.  

If we wait until our child starts dating to begin praying for her future mate, we are already behind.

If we wait until the church needs an accompanist before we start teaching the next generation to play the piano, we are going to be up a creek.

If we wait to see how much money we have available before we ask God what He wants us to do, we have the cart before the horse.

I recently heard a quote attributed to motivational speaker Zig Ziglar.  He said the best time to plant an oak tree was 50 years ago.  The second best time is today.  We don't have much control over what will happen to us in the future.  We have almost complete control over how we prepare ourselves to respond to what happens to us in the future.

So, column boy, how do you propose that we do this preparation thing?  What a great question! You are amazing!

I propose we go to the unchanging eternal truth of God's word. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, "All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work."

Our lives matter so much to God that He has provided resources to prepare and equip us for whatever the future holds.

Maybe I better start that wedding diet today.

No comments:

Post a Comment