About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Get a Grip



I had a lot of typing to do yesterday, only slightly more than the average Monday, but the pressure was on a bit more.  I am having carpal tunnel surgery today, so my left hand will be out of commission for a few days.  I’m pretty excited about it because of the anticipated improvements in my life.  I asked my doctor how long it will be until I can play the violin.  He said I should be good to go in a week or so.  I told him that’s great since I have never been able to play the violin.  I’m not sure he appreciated my sense of humor.  

Maybe I will even write better blogs once my hands are fixed.  Yes, I said “hands”.  With an “s”.  The right one is scheduled for next week.  I’m going for the quantity discount.

Seriously, I am looking forward to some things improving.  My piano and guitar playing may not move into the realm of virtuosity, but they should be less painful.  The quality of my blog writing will need to be addressed in other ways than surgery (or is that another word for ”editing”), but at least the only pain involved will be for the readers.

One of the most frustrating things about all this has been the loss of strength in my grip.  There are days when I shouldn’t pick up anything breakable.  On those days, I am reminded of the frailties of the human condition and how easily we lose our grip.   

We lose our grip on our temper and our tongue and say or do things that damage those around us. 

We lose our grip on reality and bail on our responsibilities.   

We lose our grip on our dreams and settle for the status quo.   

We lose our grip on our integrity and cut corners for the sake of convenience.

And is it possible that we sometimes lose our grip on our faith? Do we sometimes feel like the circumstances of our lives have shaken us to the point that we are hanging by a thread?  And that thread is frayed?

The Bible records these words from Jesus in John 10:27-30. "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.   My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.   I and the Father are one."
 
Did you catch that?  “No one will snatch them out of My hand … no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.”   

Our lives matter so much to God that He doesn’t leave our lives up to the strength of my grip our yours. When we belong to Him through trust in Christ, we are in His hands.

And He has got a grip.

No comments:

Post a Comment