About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Sunday, March 3, 2013

He Chose Wisely



Perhaps you’ve seen those commercials where 14 year-olds use phrases like “back in my day”.  I think I’m offended.  They are making fun of those of us who are old enough to have had a day.  But, I’ll get over it.  There.  I’m over it.

Back in my day, when Harrison Ford was rugged Indiana Jones, instead of the geriatric version from the last movie, Lucasfilm released Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  It was 1989.  I was 27, had a baby girl just learning to walk, and had been a pastor for just about 6 months.  There is a scene toward the end of the movie that became the source of quite a few sermon illustrations.  The movie’s evil madman drinks from a cup that he believes to be the Holy Grail, the cup of Christ, believing it will give him immortality.  In a matter of seconds, the aging process goes into overdrive and he shrivels up, dies, and turns to dust on the spot.  In a classic understatement, the ancient knight who has been guarding the chalice says, “He chose poorly.”  Ya think?

I’ve made some poor choices in my life.  Thankfully, none of them has resulted in my face melting off.  I’ve also made some wise choices.  Certainly, responding to the offer of salvation through Christ was the wisest choice ever.  Marrying Mrs. Sweetie runs right up there near the top.  I could go on, but since I didn’t go on with the poor ones, I’ll end the listing here.

There is, however, one more wise choice I want to mention.  In 2009, I chose to accept an invitation to serve as the emcee for the fundraiser gala for the Wise Choices Pregnancy Resource Center in Decatur.  It is a choice I have not regretted and an opportunity for which I am humbled and blessed.  Just last week, I served in that capacity for the 5th consecutive year.  It is one of the highlights of my year and has connected me with a ministry that responds with love and grace to one of the great moral issues of our day.  With a commitment to be the “kind, calm, nonjudgmental face of the pro-life movement”, pregnancy centers are helping people make wise choices about the lives of their unborn babies and about their own lives as well.  In a few weeks, I will serve as the gala emcee for the Bowie PRC for the 2nd consecutive year.  Seems like I have found a new niche.

So, how do we make wise choices in all of life?  Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not rely on your own understanding; think about Him in all your ways, and He will guide you on the right paths.”  Our lives matter so much to God that He has given us the ability to choose.  He has also given us His guidance so we can choose wisely.

What choice will you make today?

1 comment:

  1. I am blessed to have found this blog after a conversation with one of neighbors who informed me that you were writing for the Azle News. Your writing illustrates your God given gift of gab & blessing in your word and His; my choice today - to eagerly await your word and His in this blog in the coming weeks and to I feel as if I am sitting right next to you having a conversation as we did many years ago. God Bless you and your sweet family.

    "Ointment and perfumes rejoice the heart: and the good counsels of a friend are sweet to the soul." --Proverbs 27:9

    ReplyDelete