About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

And Now Competing in the Floor Exercise ... Dr. Floppy

“When I was a younger man, I would have been able to stop this.”  That was what I was thinking in that moment when the world went slow-mo and I was on the way to one of the most ungraceful public sidewalk tumbles in the history of Wise County.

We were waiting for a table at a popular restaurant and I decided to make a quick trip up the block to check something out.  “Trip” turned out to be the operative word.  There were only three or four little steps to ascend, but I didn't lift my foot quite high enough to clear the top one.  I stumbled forward and tried to get my legs back under me, but the old knees wouldn't support the extra weight from visiting too many popular restaurants and I was soon flopping on the sidewalk.  Fortunately, I didn't face plant.

A few feet away, coming toward me from the opposite direction, was a family headed for the same restaurant. I heard their gasps of horror and/or amusement as the middle aged man in the Hawaiian shirt did his tumbling routine and definitely did not stick the landing.  (I’m pretty sure I won’t be ready for the 2016 Olympics).  I heard someone say, “Are you alright?” The next thing I knew there was a man standing over me in his best umpire pose proclaiming that I was “Safe!”  Finally, his wife complimented me on my form as they headed on by to the restaurant.  I told them that I was happy to provide them with a floor show to accompany their dinner.

When I got back to Mrs. Sweetie and our friends who were waiting inside, I had to tell them the whole story.  It helped them understand the giggling patrons that had walked in just ahead of me.  I got a couple of bruises from my failed floor exercise, but I also got a great story and even got to entertain an unsuspecting family out for an early Saturday dinner.

I’m actually glad someone was there to see my tumble. It would have been a shame to waste the opportunity to brighten someone else’s day.  Even at my expense.

Proverbs 11:2 says, “Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.”  I’m not sure that I gained any wisdom from this particular event, but I have had plenty of other experiences that have taught me the wisdom of not taking myself too seriously. 

Proverbs 16:18 says, “Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.” It wasn't haughtiness, but clumsiness, that caused this particular tumble.  The kind of tumbles caused by pride and haughtiness can have much more devastating consequences.  When we get to the point of thinking that we are “all that”, we are treading into dangerous territory.

Our lives matter so much to God that He sometimes uses a tumble to get our lives back in balance.


Humble wisdom from Dr. Floppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment