About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Monday, September 30, 2013

This Is a Big Ol' Shower!



This time a year ago Mrs. Sweetie and I were right in the middle of the major renovation at our house that came to be known as the “Sweetie Suite”.  When the tile guy came in to do the shower he said that it may not have been the biggest one he had ever done, but it ranked right up there.  If we were the kind of people who did group showers, we could have some kind of party in there.

Now, while you try to get that image out of your head, let me tell you about another big ol’ shower.  This one is a baby shower and you are invited.  No, I am not using the forum to announce that I am about to be Dr. Grandpa (though that could happen at some time).  This one is a county-wide, week-long baby shower for a ministry I believe in and am happy to support.  (Note to readers outside Wise County:  Don’t stop reading.  I still have something for you at the end.)

Wise Choices Pregnancy Resource Center (www.mywisechoices.com) is an amazing ministry doing a great job saving and changing lives in this part of the world.  There are tons of statistics that I could share, but here are some highlights:  In 2012, they served 1176 clients, presented the gospel 321 times and had 59 professions of faith at the center. Also, 83% of abortion minded women changed their minds and carried the baby to term due to their efforts. It is also important to know that they are not just pro-birth, they are pro-life.  They care about and minister to the women and men who are involved and meet each one with grace and compassion.

Sycamore Baptist Church has organized this baby shower to be conducted October 6-13.  The items to be collected are: Diapers, Baby Wipes, Wal-Mart Gift Cards, and Financial contributions.  To keep Wise Choices from having to sort through the donations during the week, several local businesses have agreed to serve as drop-off locations.  To see a list of those, please go to www.sycamoredecatur.com/babyshower.  I want to use this forum this week to ask Wise County residents to make this The Biggest Ol’ Shower You’ve Ever Seen.

Now, I know that all my readers don’t live in Wise County.  I have been blessed to work with a number of Pregnancy Resource Centers over the past twenty years. Let me encourage you to find a Pregnancy Resource Center in your area and find out what their needs are and how you can bless them.  Don’t wait for someone else to organize something. In the Azle area, you can find the Eagle Mountain Pregnancy Help Center (www.emphc.org).  I am also a supporter of the Bowie Pregnancy Resource Center (www.myprc.org).

I know this column is a departure from what I normally write, but not from my foundational believe that every life matters to God.

Let’s make this a Big Ol’ Life Matters Party!

No comments:

Post a Comment