About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Monday, February 3, 2014

How to avoid Foot in Mouth Disease

(photo credit: dododreams.blogspot.com)

“He put his foot in mouth.”  I was pondering that phrase this morning and wondering about its origin.  I did some internet research and found that there is no definitive answer.  

One article suggested: “One possible point of origin for this phrase traces it back to Irish Parliamentarian Sir Boyle Roche, who was sort of an 18th-century equivalent to (former U.S. Vice President) Dan Quayle. Roche once said, ‘Half the lies our opponents tell about me are not true!’ Someone with a much firmer grasp of the English language remarked of Roche, ‘Every time he opens his mouth, he puts his foot in it,’ and a phrase was born”.

Sound good to me. It was on the internet, so it must be true.

I am doing something today that I don’t think I have ever done. At least I don’t remember doing it (which is NOT an example of foot in mouth).  I am writing twice in one day on the same subject.  Many of you do not know that I write two blogs.  Life Matters, which many of you read in the newspaper, has been around longest (almost 18 years in some form). 

I started writing a second blog last November.  Dr. G’s Morning Cup of Encouragement (www.drgencouragement.blogspot.com) is a daily (except Friday) encouraging devotional based on my own morning devotional reading and prayer.  Usually about ¼ the length of a Life Matters post, I’d love for you to check it out if that sounds interesting.

This morning’s post was based on Psalm 34:1: “I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.” I wrote that a mouth filled with praise doesn’t have much room for criticism (or a foot). You’ll have to go online if you want to see the rest (shameless plug … again, NOT an example of foot in mouth).

Now, if I were to say that people who read my newspaper column are not as savvy as those who read my blogs, THAT would be an example of foot in mouth. Or if I were to say that people who read only blogs are disconnected from what is happening in their local community, THAT would be an example of foot in mouth. 

It seems to me that one common symptom of foot in mouth is a judgmental attitude and a lack of sensitivity to those who will hear.  By “sensitivity”, I don’t mean the politically correct sensitivity that is concerned that someone might be offended.  I mean being aware of people, seeing the value of each person and the unique contribution he or she brings to the ongoing conversation of living in community.

Psalm 34:1 reminds me that the best things I can say are based on observation of what God is doing among people whose lives matter to Him. If we can’t find something praiseworthy before we criticize …


… maybe we should stick a foot in there until we can.

Question:  How can you be more intentional about your words?

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment