About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Monday, April 14, 2014

Let's make history!

(photo credit: vimeo.com)

I want to begin this week’s blog with a heartfelt “thank you”.  Many of you shared wonderful comments on my blog (and in person) after last week’s posting about my Thingy.  The fact that you took the time to do that really means a lot to me. 

It may seem like this blog is about me.  After all, I am always telling my own stories.  I addressed this in a previous blog (“Dear Column Boy …”, December 10, 2012).  But honestly, this blog is about us. My perspective is that we are sharing the journey of life together.  I just don’t have to get written consent from me to share my own stories.

But I really am telling our story—yours and mine.  When I point out the humor in a situation, I want you to see the humor in your own life. Hopefully, the result will be that none of us takes ourselves too seriously.  When I talk about struggles, I want you to identify and remember that life ain’t always a bed of roses.  (This is why I write blogs columns, not articles. Articles are written by journalists who never get to use the word ain’t unless they are quoting someone.)

Whether we are laughing together or crying together, I want us to remember together that our lives matter to God.  Whether you are in His family yet or not, your life matters to Him.  Our stories are weaving in and out of His story.  In fact, I like to take out the space between the words “His” and “story” to get “history”.  Hindsight is only 20-20 if we look back and see the hand of God as He uses us to make history (His story).

Our lives also matter so much to Him that He doesn't want us only considering His story when we are looking backward.

“Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track.” (Proverbs 3:5-6, The Message)

“I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out — plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen. When you come looking for me, you'll find me. Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed."  (Jeremiah 29:11-14, The Message)

Did you catch that?  “When you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I’ll make sure you won’t be disappointed.”  We won’t be disappointed because our greatest desire will be to find God in our story.


I have no idea what next week’s topic will be or what story I will tell.  But I’m glad we are sharing this historical (and sometimes hysterical) journey.

Question: What will you do today to focus on making history?

Leave a comment below.  I'd love to hear your story.

No comments:

Post a Comment