About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Friday, December 30, 2011

Half a Hundred


My brief research didn’t give me a definitive answer as to where the phrase “hang half a hundred on them” originated.  I have seen it attributed to both Barry Switzer when he was coaching at Oklahoma and Steve Spurrier when he was coaching at Florida.  The idea was that they were going to keep running up the score against their opponents until they scored at least 50 points.
 
Well, as of December 24, God has hung half a hundred on me.  I am now 40 years old with 10 years experience.  My family and friends are reminding me that I have seen a lot in a half century of life.  My AARP membership packet has arrived in the mail (hey, I’ll take whatever discounts I can get).  My name has been adapted to Gerry-atrics and Gerry-tol.  And I am finding out that it really is nifty to be fifty.
 
During my fiftieth year Mrs. Sweetie and I got a son-in-law, our little girl became a High School English teacher, we got our house paid off, and our baby boy turned 21.  My hair continues trending toward gray, but at least it is hanging in there for the most part.  I also had skin cancer surgery and a little bout of shingles. And my doctor has been reminding me of a special procedure that he has been saving as a fiftieth birthday present.  Ok, I’m going to remain in denial about that until I see him in February.
 
I might suggest that there were some midlife issues to deal with, but since I don’t expect to live to a hundred, half a hundred seems like I might actually be on the downward side of the mountain instead of the middle peak. 
 
Not that I’m complaining. I actually can’t think of one person with whom I would want to trade lives.  Mrs. Sweetie is still my best friend and biggest fan.  Those grown up kids still love me and will even show it in public.  I have a lot of opportunities to encourage, coach, and mentor pastors and church leaders.  I am looking forward to what is ahead much more than I am pondering what is behind.  Half a hundred is a good place to be.
 
One other great blessing came to me during my fiftieth year.  My friend and fellow guitar-picking storyteller, Bob Buckel, gave me the wonderful opportunity of Life Matters showing up across the op-ed page from him in the Azle News each week. It has been my honor to share the page with him (and to trust him each week to make my words fit the space).
 
When he told me a few weeks back that he would be leaving the Azle News at the end of the year, I was both sad and excited.  I’m sad like most everyone that has benefited from his community spirit, fair-minded perspective, and faithful friendship expressed in both print and life for the past 25 years. I’m so glad that Bob the newspaper guy has become Bob my friend over the past few years.  I’m excited because I know that God has a great adventure ahead as our friend moves into whatever is next.
 
Our lives—birthdays, transitions, friendships, joys, pains, challenges, triumphs—matter to God.  I have lived much in this half a hundred and those with whom I have shared the trip have made it all the better.  Have I mentioned that I am looking forward to what is ahead? And I am looking forward to seeing you here in 2012.
 
But before I start, I think I’ll go take a nap.  That half a hundred does take a little more effort to carry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment