About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Truth about "Happy Holidays"


Question: Do you promise to tell (1) the truth, (2) the whole truth, and (3) nothing but the truth?  Answer:  (1) Yes, (2) Can’t manage the whole truth in 600 words or less, (3) This is a blog, so this is my truthful opinion. 
 
Now that we have the disclaimers out of the way, I want to continue with my “Happy Holidays” thoughts from last week. This week’s title is not intended to imply that I am about to give the definitive truth to end all discussions on the topic.  I just want to offer a little perspective.   I posted the following on Facebook a few days ago, “One easy way to undermine the message of Christmas is for Christians to appear angry and petty in response to "Happy Holidays".  That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 
 
So here are a few truths to remember as we seek to respond appropriately to this crazy culture in which we live.
 
Truth #1 – There are a lot of holidays this time of year.  One usage of the word “holiday” is a day that you don’t have to go to work.  It is a vacation.  “Going on holiday” may not be used much in our part of the world, but if a person has some extra days off, what is wrong with a pleasant wish that they might enjoy them?
 
There are also some crazy holidays during December.  I found a website that lists “Bizarre and Unique Holidays” that cover every day in the month of December.  I promise I am not making these up.  National Fritters Day (Dec 2), Wear Brown Shoes Day (Dec 4), Humbug Day (Dec 21), Make Up Your Mind Day (Dec 31).  If someone wishes to celebrate these holidays, they may actually need a little extra encouragement (and perhaps a hobby).
 
Seriously, almost all of the major religions of the world have some special days in December.  As an unapologetic Christ-follower, those are not a part of my own celebration.  But I believe that I am more likely to have the opportunity to share what is special and unique about my faith when a person of another perspective sees that I genuinely am interested in a gracious dialogue about matters of faith and truth.
 
Truth #2 – A “Merry Christmas” sign in the window of a store is no guarantee that a business is focused on the true reason for the season.  Some merchants may have figured out that Christians are more likely to shop where they see the magic words in the window.  Is that X-box really more of a celebration of the birth Jesus of because of where you bought it?
 
Truth #3 – A “Happy Holidays” sign in the window of a store does not in any way prevent me from practicing my faith.  When I see that sign, I interpret it in the light of my own faith perspective and I am grateful for the recognition that this time of year is special.  I don’t need a store or anyone else to share the message of my faith on my behalf.  That’s my job.  When I am met with a “Happy Holidays”, there is nothing that prevents me from responding with a pleasant “Thank you and Merry Christmas” or even “God bless you.”  My own opinion is that a faith that is too easily offended is a rather shallow faith.
 
Truth #4 – The Jesus whose birth I celebrate is too awesome and wonderful to be contained in slogans.  “Jesus is the reason for the season.”  “Keep Christ in Christmas.”  Those aren’t bad slogans, they are just insufficient to adequately express the glory of the Savior. At His birth, the angels in heaven could not contain their joy.  At His crucifixion, death and the grave could not contain Him.  Our lives matter so much to God that Heaven could not contain Him.  1 John 4:9-10 says, “This is how God showed His love among us: He sent His one and only Son into the world that we might live through Him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.”
 
Next time – Keeping Christmas in Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment