About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Friday, July 13, 2012

How's That Working for You?


I was recently in the Customer Service line of a local retail establishment.  Location really doesn’t matter, because my inspiration came from my co-line-hurry-up-and-waiters. That was the new word of the week.  Just trying to do my part for excellent customer service.
A couple of fellows in line started talking about the “good old days”. Of course the definition of “good old days” depends on the age of the person talking.  These guys particularly mentioned the late 1950s, when I suspect they were in their early teens.
The conversation moved quickly from what was good about the late ‘50s to what is wrong with now.  As they continued to talk, their collective blood pressure rose, their volume increased, and their language got more, shall we say,”salty.”
They criticized the younger generation for their “impersonal” communication methods like texting and social networks.  They criticized automated customer service where you can’t talk to a real person.  They talked about how lazy their grandkids are with all their sitting around texting, Facebooking, and video gaming, instead of doing things outside like kids used to do.
What really struck me was how they had informed their family members of their refusal to participate in “impersonal” communication.  “If you want to talk to me,” one said, “you better pick up the phone.”
I did not participate in this conversation.  I wish I hadn’t even listened, but since they chose to have it in public, I didn’t have much choice.  Kind of reminds me of those who use the public forum of Facebook to complain.  Anybody see the irony there?
In another checkout line a few weeks ago, the lady in front of me went off when the cashier asked her if she would like help getting her groceries to the car.  She was offended by the question!  She remembered (out loud) a time when the grocery store provided that service without asking whether you wanted it or not.
In both these situations, I had an internal Dr. Phil moment.  I wanted to turn to the complainers and say, “How’s that working for you?”  Has your relationship with your grandchildren improved by your refusal to communicate in their “impersonal” ways?  How has your service experience improved by your offense at being offered a service?
Ecclesiastes 7:10 says, “Do not say, ‘Why were the old days better than these?’ For it is not wise to ask such questions.”
I have a strong suspicion that the generation for whom the “good old days” were the 1930s didn’t think too highly of some parts of the late 50s.  There is nothing wrong with looking back with fond memories.  The problem comes when we deliberately miss the blessings of the present because we long for the past.
If I refused to text with my 21 year old son, I would rarely hear from him.  But sometimes I look on my phone and see, “Luv u 2.”
That’s working pretty well, thank you very much.

2 comments:

  1. When people think of "the good old days", it seems to me they only choose to remember the good. There was just as much bad - they merely overlook the bad in favor of the good.

    ReplyDelete