About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Monday, June 25, 2012

The Show Must Go On


I am a Texan. I enjoy traveling and seeing other places, but there’s no better place to live.  It ain’t braggin’ if it’s the truth.
One of our state’s entertainment treasures takes place in one of our natural treasures.  The musical drama TEXAS is now in its 47th season of entertaining summertime audiences in Palo Duro Canyon.
Both Mrs. Sweetie and I spent a summer as TEXAS cast members during our college days. This summer our baby boy (all 6’5” of him) is spending his summer getting paid to sing, dance, and act.  He’s also on the stunt team and one night a week he gets set on fire. Now that will bless your heart as a parent!
Friends and family have been on intensive prayer duty ever since the first man-on-fire photos showed up on Facebook.  The boy says the greatest challenge is to remember not to breathe.  My brother says his biggest challenge would be to remember not to scream like a little girl!
Three days ago I got the dreaded phone call from my boy. He had been injured.  No, it was not during the fire scene.  He tripped over his own feet while dancing in the finale and fractured his ankle.  That gives a whole new meaning to the theatrical good luck wish of “break a leg. 
Of course I’m thinking that a dancing injury was a genetic inevitability. As the son of a Baptist preacher, why was he dancing anyway? They should have known they were putting him in danger.  Set him on fire, but for heaven’s sake, don’t let him dance!  We’re Baptists!  We have no rhythm!
The phone conversation from the doctor’s office took place about 3:00 p.m.  At 8:00 p.m. when the first act overture began, he was on stage.  On crutches.  He’s not doing any dancing or combusting for the next three weeks, but he will not miss a single one of the 18 performances that will happen during that three week period.  He made a commitment.  He signed a contract.  People are depending on him.  And he loves what he is doing.
The show must go on!
I got to thinking about how easy it is to make excuses.  There are times when I want to back out of something for no other reason than I am tired. I have to admit that there are things I know that God wants me to do, and I am often full of excuses. Sometimes I think, “What would it matter?  I’m not that important.”
My son had a director who told him, “We need you.  You are important.  No one can take your place.”  No pressure, just affirmation of his value to the show.
Our lives matter so much to God that He wants us to see our value to Him and His purpose in the world. So, don’t sit and watch. Get out there on His stage.
Just don’t trip over your own cowboy boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment