About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Sunday, June 24, 2012

It's Only an Hour


The speaker of the children’s sermon held some brightly colored leaves in his hand. With these props, he asked, “What season comes between Summer and Winter?”  Without hesitation, one of the boys answered, “Huntin’ season!”
It may not be Huntin’ season right now, but it certainly appears to be Weddin’ season.
When I transitioned from the pastorate to my current ministry, I thought I was pretty much out of the weddin’ business.  Of course I expected to perform my own daughter’s wedding (done in 2011) and perhaps my son’s (not yet).  Other than that, I didn’t plan on weddings being a part of my ministry. To be honest, that transition didn’t bother me too much.  If you can get most preachers to be honest about it, they will tell you that weddings are a pain.  That sentence was not meant to imply that it is hard to get preachers to be honest.  Don’t misquote me there!
As I post this, I am 13 days away from my 28th wedding anniversary with Mrs. Sweetie.  Being married is one of the most wonderful things in the world.  Getting married … well that’s something else.
Why am I writing about something that is no longer a part of my life?  Ah, the best laid plans. There are just some people that make it tough to say, “No.”  I have performed two wedding ceremonies in the past week.  I am currently doing premarital counseling with another couple.  These are people that are special enough to me to bring me out of “retirement”.
It’s still a pain.
My opinion is that our culture makes it a pain.  So much focus is given to the wedding and so little is given to the marriage.  I have threatened for years to write a book about weddings and wedding preparation.  The title pretty much sums it up: "It’s Only an Hour.”
One hour gets months of planning and thousands of dollars.  One hour turns parents into basket cases.  One hour causes more mother/daughter arguments than any other event.  One hour can take years to pay off.  And no matter how much attention it gets, it’s still one hour!
Why not concentrate on the next 60 years of marriage?  I am reminded of the words of Jesus in Matthew 7:24-25. "Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the flood waters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won't collapse because it is built on bedrock”.
One public hour all dressed up is not a foundation.  Our lives matter so much to God, that He wants us to build on hundreds of thousands of private hours of love and faithfulness.
I’ve logged over 245,000 hours of marriage with Mrs. Sweetie.  The first one is a distant memory. I’m more concerned with the next one. 
That’s my wish for all newly/nearly-weds.

No comments:

Post a Comment