About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Hey! How Can I Get a Dynasty?



What is the deal with these ducks?  Why do they have a dynasty and why are all these people talking about them? 
 
That’s what I was thinking until a couple of weeks ago, when Mrs. Sweetie happened to watch an episode of Duck Dynasty on A&E.  “You have to watch this,” she said.  I was hooked after one episode.  I might  be a redneck.

Now the A&E Network has given us such shows as “Storage Wars”, “Pawn Stars”, and (gasp!) “Hoarders”.  I care nothing for any of these and in fact “Hoarders” has been known to cause me to get up and leave the room in total creeped-out-edness.  I’m sorry, but there was no adequate existing English word to capture how that one makes me feel.

But “Duck Dynasty” cracks me up.  The show is about nothing except a family of rednecks living the American Dream.  Like many people, I can’t get enough of Uncle Si. I drove my kids crazy during the Christmas break talking in my Uncle Si accent and saying, “Hey!” about every other sentence.  Just like we used to limit favorite son’s “Power Rangers” watching when he was karate kicking everything in sight at the age of 5 or 6, I think they want to limit my “DD” watching. (Hey! That’s insider redneck lingo for “Duck Dynasty”, Jack!) 

How the Robertson clan got to be West Monroe’s wealthiest rednecks is not what I am most interested in.  (I never thought I would use the words “wealthiest rednecks” in a sentence).  Honestly, what attracts me most is the picture of family doing life together with laughter and faith.  I don’t know if all the stories I have read are true, but there is a lot out there about this family and how they are using their influence to share the good news of Jesus with people who might not be found in your average church.  Whether the stories are true or not, I love the way they end each show praying over a big family meal. 

I’m thinking about my own dynasty.  Maybe I could be known as the Blog Commander.  Or not.  I guess I am really more interested in a legacy than a dynasty.  And that leads me to my role as I have learned it from Ephesians chapters 5-6.

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ (5:21) … love your wives, just as Christ loved the church (5:25) … husbands ought to love their wives as they love their own bodies (5:28) … do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord (6:4) ... do the will of God with all your heart. Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people (6:6-7).

My legacy matters to God and if I please him with my life, that will make me “Happy, Happy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment