About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

You Can't Be SIRIous!



Hi!  I’m Gerry and I’m a technoholic.  I admit that I sometimes use technology to excess, and sometimes technologize alone.  Sometimes, when I should be out and about moving around, I sit and think about what gadgets I would like.  Some might say I have a SIRIous problem.

The one thing that keeps my addiction in check is the fact that I’m not a techno-geek.  That means that I love gadgets, but I just want them to do what they do without my having to understand how.  So,  I don’t want the absolute latest technology.  I want last year’s technology so lots of people have already played and worked with it and have all the kinks worked out.  For example, when the iPhone 5 came out recently, I upgraded to the iPhone 4S.  It may not have all the latest, but I have been introduced to the greatness of SIRI.

Now, her cute little female robot voice can’t hold a candle (or a flashlight app) to Mrs. Sweetie’s, but I have carried on some pretty cool conversations.  When I say, “I’m hungry,” she tells me that there are several restaurants close by and offers to give me directions.  “I’m sleepy,” has gotten three different answers so far:  (1) “There’s nothing wrong with being tired.” (2) “I hope you’re not driving.” (3) “Listen to me.  Put down this iPhone and take a nap right now.”  Notice the “product placement” – not just “phone” but “iPhone”.

My girls (Mrs Sweetie, favorite daughter, and favorite almost daughter-in-law) got a good laugh this morning listening to me converse with SIRI.  I told her she was awesome.  Her answer, “Wow!  Really?”  I told her I love her.  First answer, “That’s sweet, Gerry.”  Second answer, “That’s impossible.”

She’s actually right about that.  As much as I enjoy technology, I don’t love it.  And SIRI is really not a she.  Some really smart people gave this technology the ability to respond to the human voice in more ways than I am able to understand.  But, for me, technology is still a means to connect with real people.  If I need to exchange information, I’ll use text messaging, Facebook, or Twitter.  If I want to have a conversation about business, I’ll use the telephone.  If I want to just share life and talk, I prefer face to face over a cup of coffee or a meal.

So, I’m not too worried about my technology addiction.

1 John 4:10-12 says, “This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us."

Our lives matter so much to God that He gave us each other.  You can’t be SIRI and SIRI can’t be you.  Let’s love one another more in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment