About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Monday, May 7, 2012

Hop on the Yellow Blue Bus


I just returned from Ukraine with a large male choir known as the Singing Men of North Central Texas. This was our second trip to this former Soviet country. The first was in 2010, and we had the privilege of performing 11 concerts for over 10,600 people.  It was truly amazing to share the good news of Jesus in song and see more than 4500 respond with first time spiritual decisions.
Since this blog appears as a column in a couple of newspapers, I had to prepare and submit two of them in advance.  This one was composed six days before our actual departure,so I can’t really comment on what is going on.  However, I have had a lot of wonderful traveling opportunities over the years, so I have learned a few things that help me prepare for a trip.  I think some of these traveling tips also have application for the journey of life.
 First, don't over-pack. The airlines have weight limits and they will charge you extra if you go over.  Heavy bags also weigh you down and wear you out.  Isn’t it also true that our lives can get so weighed down with extra stuff that we actually hinder our ability to negotiate all the trails (and trials) of life?
Second, be flexible. Planes, buses, taxis, and ships all have a habit of adjusting things like schedules and menus.  If you make it through a trip without having to go to Plan B, C, or D, consider it the exception rather than the rule.  The inability to adjust and adapt can be one of the biggest challenges we have to living life as a great adventure.
Third, figure out how to connect. In my travels, I have been places where they speak a different language.  Places like Austria, Hungary, Ukraine, Germany, Mexico (and Alabama and Wisconsin) all bring their own unique challenges.  In every location, learning a few phrases helps not only to find the bathroom, but also to connect with people.  I have this personal bias that the joy of travel is not just in seeing the sights, but in celebrating the people that give each locale its cultural richness.  When you let people know that you are interested enough to learn about them, doors of opportunity are more likely to open. I found that to be true even when my primary ministry location changed from the Azle area to Wise, Montague, and Jack Counties.
On our last trip to Ukraine, we learned how to say “I love you” in Russian.  I don’t know the real words, but it sounds like “yellow blue bus”. Jesus said in John 13:34-35, “So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples."
Our lives matter to God, so let’s hop on that yellow blue bus and enjoy this journey together.

No comments:

Post a Comment