About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

They Talk Funny Here


“They talk funny here.” That’s what Mrs. Sweetie told me the first time I took her to Alabama to a family reunion.  I reminded her that, since we were the ones from out of town, we were the funny talkers there.  
Did you know that in Alabama there are only 25 letters in the alphabet?  There is no R.  “Pass the buttah, please.”  In Texas, we vocally capitalize the R, even in the middle of the word.  That’s why the name Carl sounds like a two-syllable word. (If you are reading this in a public place, I hope you didn’t just embarrass yourself by trying that out loud).
I had an “Aha” moment during the worship service in the church I attended this past Sunday. Those moments should occur in church a lot more frequently than they do, but that’s another topic for another day. 
I was worshiping with one of our Hispanic congregations. I took three years of Spanish in school over 35 years ago and grew up in west Texas where there was already a large Spanish-speaking population, so I can understand enough to generally keep up with what is going on.  But I miss a lot, too.  On some of the songs, I may only catch a phrase or two before it’s over.
It was during one of those unfamiliar songs that I had my “Aha”.  I realized that I didn’t have a clue what they were saying, but I had joined my heart with theirs in the worship of our God.  I clapped along with the rhythm, hummed along in harmony, and raised my heart to God.  I did not have to like, understand—or even agree with—every word to join with them in spirit.
I had a similar experience in the Crimean city of Sevastopol about three weeks ago.  Except this time the service was in Russian and the only word I ever understood was the Russian word for God.  But I worshiped as they lifted their hearts and voices to their God and mine.
I got to thinking about the complaints I have heard from church-goers over the years.  Complaints because they didn’t like they style of music.  Complaints because they didn’t agree with everything the preacher said.  Complaints because they might agree with it, but they just didn’t like the way he said it.  Complaints because the service was too long or the thermostat was set too low or the sound system was set too high.  Complaints because … you fill in the blank. Sometimes one might get the impression that we think the worship service is about us.
Jesus once said, “But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him.” (John 4:23)
Our lives matter so much to God that He is seeking us so that we can seek Him. Even if we talk funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment