About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Monday, May 7, 2012

Wherefore Art Thou, Romo?


(Note: Due to traveling and spotty internet for the past few weeks, I am posting several blogs today that have already come out in print form as my newspaper column)
Does it mean you’re getting old when you only listen to ESPN or talk radio in the car?  I’ve tried listening to the oldies music station, but I just can’t get no satisfaction there.  (Yes, I know that was corny).
One of my morning commute staples is the Ben & Skin show on ESPN.  If you are familiar with it you are probably mentally humming the theme song right now.  I think I really like it because they are a couple of local guys who are primarily fans of our DFW area sports teams.  Usually their humor is not offensive and they seem to just be having a good time with their dream job.
Last week they talked to Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo about the recent birth of his son.  As one whose first experience as a dad was almost a quarter century ago, I love hearing the “aha” moments new dads have when they realize you can’t completely understand it until you experience it.  Tony seems smitten with that little boy and it makes me smile just to think about it.
Toward the end of the interview, Ben & Skin asked him to imagine 20 years down the road when someone talks about him to his son.  They asked him what he would like that conversation to be like.  Without hesitation, he said the first things he wants to be remembered for are being a good father and the spiritual leader of his family. 
I’ve been a Romo fan since he became the starter, perhaps because he wasn’t a highly touted, can’t-miss early draft pick.  Of course the high profile nature of being the QB of the Cowboys means that every move is scrutinized and every mistake is magnified.  His dating relationships, vacations, post-loss comments, and interceptions have been ammunition for those who say he is just not focused enough to lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl. They just don’t know for sure wherefore he is mentally.
I have been a Cowboys fan since Super Bowl 5.  I want them to go back to the big game and win it and I’d love for Tony to have that opportunity.
But if he doesn’t, he is going to be ok and I am going to be ok with him.  At the end of life, accomplishments and accolades are not the most important thing.  His marriage and children will be the legacy that matters.
Admittedly, I don’t know for sure what being a spiritual leader looks like for Tony Romo.  But I know what it looks like for me. Jesus said in Mark 8:36-37, “For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul?  For what will a man give in exchange for his soul?” That’s a reality check.
Our lives matter so much to God, that he knows wherefore we are in every way.  If Tony’s a winner at home, he’ll have a fan in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment