About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Monday, May 21, 2012

My Red Solo Cup


Who would have ever thought a silly song about picnic supplies would be a major country music hit?  Oh yeah, it’s country music.  No insult intended.  Just an acknowledgement that if you can hit a down-home, regular old boy vibe with a catchy melody, you might have a country hit.  Every genre of music has its own sweet spot. 
I just watched the YouTube video of Toby Keith’s performance of this song on the recent Academy of Country Music awards show.  Over 1.7 million people watched this video before I did.  Crazy.
I don’t have any great affinity for any particular picnic implements although I do have a list of picnic essentials, based on my upbringing.  Probably most of the picnics I remember from childhood were meals that my Granny Lewis turned into picnics.  She always had Fritos, bean dip, and those little sweet gherkin pickles.  I have no idea what in the world a gherkin is, but if you don’t have them, you don’t have a picnic.
Granny Lewis went to be with Jesus and Grandpa in 1990, just about 4 months before my son was born. I have a few quilts and afghans that she made, but one particular item stands out.  It is a little neck pillow that she made for me when she was still able to sew.  I don’t remember at what point I started putting it over my face at night to block light, but for the past 30 years or so, I can’t sleep without something over my face.  Fortunately, Mrs. Sweetie hasn’t felt the need to put the big bed pillow over my face.
Granny’s little pillow began to look a little thread-bare a few years ago, so Mrs. Sweetie used it as a pattern to make me another one for every day use.  But I still carry Granny’s when I travel.  I looked at it on my recent trip to Ukraine and noticed that the fabric is now tissue paper thin, the cotton batting is in clumps, and it doesn’t block much light anymore. 
I got a little nostalgic thinking that the time is soon coming that I will have to retire it completely.  Toby Keith says the red solo cup is his friend.  I guess this little neck pillow is my red solo cup.  It reminds me of picnics, back rubs, and Granny’s tiny kitchen.
Last week I wrote about looking forward rather than looking longingly backward.  That doesn’t mean that memories are not precious and heritage is not important.  When I look back on how God used special people in my life to prepare me to be the man I am today, it makes me want to be sure that I am allowing God to use me in the lives of those around me.  Who knows what my future grandchildren will remember about me?
Our lives matter so much to God that He wants us to finish well.  Granny’s little pillow is my reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment