About Me

My photo
Blogger, Christ-follower, Encourager, Friend, Husband, Dad

Monday, May 7, 2012

Moving On Up


Are you old enough to remember that Jeffersons theme song?  “Moving on up to the east side, to that DE-luxe apartment in the sky …”
Well, this week my baby boy moves out of the college dorm into an apartment.  It is not a DE-luxe one, but it will certainly be different from the walk-in closet he has called home for the past three years.  He’s a year from graduation, but the end is in sight and this is the first step toward that transition into big boy world.
This first step also marks the end of an era.  One of my offspring has been a resident of Conner Hall, the honors dorm at West Texas A&M University, since January, 2007.  Big sister was moving out of the girls’ wing just as little brother moved in on the opposite side. 
“Honors dorm” sounds pretty cool if you aren’t aware that it was built as a military barracks in the early 1950’s and is still heated by the original radiators and cooled by whatever fans the kids bring with them since there is no A/C.  The cool thing about it is that you get to have a private room and hang out with a lot of smart kids who may not win many intramural sports trophies, but they are enjoying succeeding in their college experience.
I happen to think it is also good preparation for life.  Some lessons are better learned early. Like the fact that you are smart, make good grades, and work hard does not necessarily mean that you will live in the lap of luxury.  Or that success does not always equal comfort.  Or that your life will be more affected by your choices than by your environment.
Since I left home for college 32 years ago, I have lived in 2 dorm rooms, 4 apartments, and 3 houses.  I am certain that is way below average.  Every residence has been based on a series of choices.  Even the fact that I have lived in the same house for the past 21 years results from choices to stay when I could have moved onto something new.
We don’t use the word “abode” much anymore, but it is related to the word “abide”, which means to “stay or remain”.  Because I have chosen to abide, my house is my abode.  Though I have no plans to relocate, only God truly knows how long I will abide here.
There is another kind of abode that is more important to me. Jesus said, “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.”
Our lives matter so much to God that He has given us instructions for true success and abiding joy.
Now, that’s moving on up.

No comments:

Post a Comment